During my recent visit to Lunos in Berlin I was introduced to their newest high performance ventilation systems. 475 will introduce the following exciting solutions as soon as they are available:
- the Nexxt – a semi-central HRV with heat recovery efficiency of up to 90%, delivering ventilation up to 60CFM (winter 2015/16)
- RA 15-60 – exhaust fan for milder climates, delivering ventilation up to 35CFM (available now)
- ALD R160 – passive air inlet with filter and high sound absorbtion (available now)
All of these devices use the same 6″/160mm Lunos tubes that make installation of the e2 and eGO in exteriors walls efficient and easy to airseal.
This semi-central device uses a counter-flow heat exchanger, combining the advantages of a decentralized (ductless) HRV and a centralized system. It is very quiet and is attached with a single split tube (like the eGO uses) to the exterior. This means that for the fist time a single penetration in your airtight layer suffices to connect a HRV to the inside of the building.
The unit can be mounted in three different positions – recessed and ducted, flush (protruding just 2″, while still allowing duct connections), and surface mounted. This gives you full flexibility in both new construction and renovation for unit placement and exterior wall detailing.
The Nexxt can respond to input from temperature and relative humidity sensors, and optionally with a CO2 sensor as well. This gives you the option to automatically run summer bypass on cool summer nights (or not) and/or activate high flow mode when occupancy in the room increases CO2 levels.
The unit draws as little as 5 watts on low flow and offers first class sound protection from exterior noise. Stay tuned for additional info when the product launches at the end of 2015.
To complement the e2 system, and to offer efficient through-wall exhaust ventilation for climates where heat recovery from bathrooms/kitchens is not cost efficient, Lunos has introduced the RA 15-60. It fits in the same installation tube as the e2, but since this radial DC fan (also good for DC/PV powered houses) only takes up 1.5″ (37mm) of this tube, it allows you to fill the remainder of the tube with star-shaped sound absorbers. This can reduce the sound transmission from outside by more than 50dB, making it perform better than most triple pane glass. The fan itself has a sound pressure level of between 22-35dB, so it is primarily used for bathrooms and kitchens. Power consumption is as low as 0.04W/cubic meter/hr and minimum installation thickness is 6.7″ (170mm) if sound absorbing sets are desired.
The RA 15-60 is controlled by a Lunos universal controller – which now also features time lag add on. This module enables you to extend the run time to 0, 6, 15 or 3o minutes beyond a ventilation trigger (light in bath turned on/high humidity event).
Additionally this timing module can also be programmed to exhaust 15 minutes every 2 hours or 30 minutes every 4 hours – making this an ideal plug and play device for controlled exhaust ventilation in mild climates. This module will be available at the end of summer 2015 and anticipated list price is $39.
This passive air-inlet is a non-powered hole in your wall – albeit a bit more sophisticated than just a simple hole. Its benefits include:
- Controls airflow with a ventilation rate at 8Pa pressure (equal to the result of eGO or RA 15-60 exhaust operation)
- Similar sound attenuating properties that are also found in the RA 15-60 (up to 55dB while in operation)
- Includes an automated pressure sensitive wind damper, which prevents over-ventilation from gusts/storms
- Includes a G3 filter – for filtered fresh air
We’ve received requests for different (non-round) exterior grilles and will offer two new options in Fall 2015:
1. Hidden exterior grilles (Lunotherm) that integrate very well into EIFS facades (including GUTEX Thermowall system). They allow you to avoid visible ventilation facade penetrations in your building, while not compromising airflow or insulation levels. And they work with standard 6″ diameter Lunos tubes. Prices starting at approx. $139 per unit.
2. Square exterior grilles 1/HWE (black) and 1/HAZ (gray) with an added benefit of an additional exterior noise reduction of 6dB.
We are excited to offer these new products and look forward to seeing them implemented in high performance construction projects in the US in the near future.