The solution for comfort, efficiency, and silence in a historic Brooklyn brownstone building
Ben walks us through the steps of preparing the rough opening and the window frame, for quick, easy and high performance installation using:
- Extoseal Encors – waterproof sill protection
- Tescon Profil – airtightness around the window, taped in a zero-reveal method
- Havelock Wool – loose-filled around the outside of the window bucks and between window frame and buck to provide insulation around the thermal-bridge free BEWISO window frame.
This installation will be finished with brick mold around the window on the exterior. In case of a full gut retrofit of the building, we would of course want to see the exterior taped with Solido tape (either Contega Solido Exo or Solido Exo-D), and the interior Tescon Profil tape attached to the Intello Plus vapor-variable air barrier. For more on our ideal gut renovation details, look to our video on Duncan Architect’s renovation project.
For more on window installation, see our posts:
- IDEAL Window Installations
- How To Prepare For High Performance Windows
- Flanged Window Install Guide for High Performance Enclosures